Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chicago! In Search of Liz Cheever

The great state of Illinois! While on my way here I passed through Indiana where I stopped at a bar; a low lit, empty space with a big pool table in the back. The place circled and lingered with smoke from the cigarettes hanging out from everyone's mouth (mine included). The bartender was a younger woman keeping the dudes in line. She was tough and guarded. No way to see any feeling behind her straight face. I sensed that she was tricking herself with some fantastic psychological spell in order to work there. I only wanted one beer (not to mention the draft options were a little limited: Miller Lite or Miller Highlife) but since I was carrying no cash I had to use my card ($10 minimum). So I asked if I could buy some singles (as equally limited as the draft options). She said a six pack was $7 and that would be good enough. So now I'm traveling around with a six pack of shitty beer in my trunk, but I imagine it will get less shitty as I move westward.

For now, I am charging my equipment. If I ever film on the road again I am investing in a generator because this process is very slow. It takes about 3-4 hours for my camera to charge up, then my computer, then my phone.  Fortunately, I'm at a Starbuck's (first time I've said that) and they have multiple outlets. It's still a wait for the camera, however. I think this is the main reason for my daily blogs.

CAR NEWS: I went to a mechanic in the town of Chelsea, Michigan. The mechanic looked it over and drove it around the lot and told me the following: the knocking sound is probably the back break pads and rooters. He said he couldn't see them with the cover on, but they are probably eroding.

I asked him if my wheels would come off.

He said no.

I asked him if I could still drive without back breaks.

He said my car uses the front breaks, but when the back breaks get really bad the noise will be horrific (not to mention more damage) because then it will be metal rubbing against metal.

I asked him if he thought the car would make it to California.

He shrugged.

I'm assuming that's a yes.

My car also leaks power steering fluid in buckets and it looks like that might be the main cause of the steering problem. He offered to run a safety inspection later in the day for $65, but I declined, thinking as long as my wheels don't go flying off when I'm going 70mph down the freeway than everything else should be okay.

How did I get the ridiculous idea of my wheels coming off? Well, I've always been paranoid of things falling on me or falling off (the main reason I hate airplanes) and when I had the oil changed a few days ago the guy doing it said my steering was really back and I should take it into a shop because my wheels could fall off. He didn't look or sound like he was joking...

...I wonder if Otter is good a fixing cars?

No comments:

Post a Comment